Ever since I can remember, I have always had a book in my hand and my face buried in the pages. Growing up in a dangerous neighborhood (click here to learn more about me), my parents did not let me out of my house so reading was the only way I could escape reality and the confines of our tiny apartment. I would become so engrossed in whatever book I was reading that I would get in trouble. Why? Because I would never hear the calls of my mom to help with chores or eat a meal… I was a character in the story in the world of the book in my hand.
As An Adult…
Reading is still a passion of mine. It is a passion which I have shared with my daughters and they have happily picked up (a mom win for sure)! I love when they wake up in the morning, grab a book and lay on the sofa to read. My oldest also loves to read to my youngest which never fails to melt my heart.
Reading has become such an integral part of our family time. Whether it is morning time, nap time of bed time… my daughters and I always make sure to enjoy a book together. Since they are getting older, we have started to read chapter books together. Our recent and current favorite book to read is any book from the “Hombre Perro (Dog Man)” series by Dav Pilkey.
Why The “Hombre Perro (Dog Man)” Series?
To be honest… at first I was hesitant to read the book with my girls as I assumed it would be geared more towards boys. I did not think my daughters would be interested in the adventures of a canine superhero who’s part dog and part policeman. However, I am brave enough to admit that I was soooo wrong! After doing some research I became even more excited to read the books with my girls.
- Dav Pilkey (the author) is an award-winning and best-selling author and illustrator having written over more than 60 children books! His on-going personal mission is to give all kids access to books… which as an avid reader I LOVE!
- Dav Pilkey was diagnosed with dyslexia in 2nd grade! This really pulled at my heart strings because it is very likely my little one has Dyslexia (blog post coming soon about our journey). I have been learning so much about how to get her the right resources so she is successful in her academic career and of course I worry how it might affect her future. To see someone so accomplished reassures me that she can and will do great things. (Click here to learn more about Dav Pilkey).
- While the Dog Man books are recommended for ages 7 and up, I think the books are suited for the emergent readers because of all of the illustrations. My 5-yr old loves to look at the pictures and tell me her version of what is going on in the story. Looking at the pictures and creating your own story is the first step to reading.
- Through the Dog Man series, you see the growth and development of the main characters which I think is great for my daughters to see and try to relate to.
- The Dog Man series has been translated into more than 27 languages! With of goal of teaching my daughters Spanish (which is a priority because I am Puerto Rican and my husband is Ecuadorian) I was super excited to receive the series (courtesy of Scholastic) in Spanish. When we are not reading the book together, my oldest is reading it to my little one and they are both asking to translate words which in turn helps them learn the language.
- The Dog Man series inspired Scholastic to create the “Do Good” campaign which encourages readers of all ages to give back and make a positive impact in their communities. (Click here to learn more about the “Do Good” campaign).
- As part of the “Do Good” campaign, Dav Pilkey will be on a “Do Good Tour” this Fall (Fall of 2019). The goal of the tour is to bring together kids, families, and educators, to highlight the many ways books inspire—and how each individual can help others make a positive difference wherever they are. Hosted by bookstores and key community partners, all of the events will have a “Do Good” component to support non-profit literacy organizations, local charities, military families, schools as well as libraries in underserved areas. To learn more about the “Do Good Tour” and whether or not it is coming to a city near you, click here.
GIVEAWAY: HAVE A BARKING GOOD TIME!
If those aren’t good enough reasons to read the series, I don’t know what is! What I do know it that when I was asked to partner with Scholastic for a Giveaway, I was honored. To be able to share the gift of reading and what has become some of our favorite books with you… made me so excited!
For this giveaway, thanks to Scholastic, ONE lucky reader can win the chance to expand their library with these 5 fun Hombre Perro (DogMan) books:
1: Hombre Perro (released 8/29/17)
2: Hombre Perro se desata (released 12/26/17)
3: Hombre Perro: A Historia de Dos Gatitos (released 8/28/18)
4: Hombre Perro y Supergatito (released 2/26/2019)
5: Hombre Perro: El Señor de las Pulgas (released 9/3/19)
The winner will also receive a $50 Visa gift card for a barking good time out with the family!!!
Please note: The Giveaway runs from Tuesday, October 1, 2019 to 9pm EST on Saturday, October 5, 2019. Winner will be announced within 48 hours of the closing of the Giveaway. Giveaway is open to US addresses only. Prizing and samples will be provided by Scholastic.
*** GIVEAWAY CLOSED***
Leave a comment below with your favorite book and what would you do with the prize package (keep it? Gift it? Etc..).
Share this post/giveaway on social media and tag me for extra entries (FB = /MamiWorksBlog, IG = @mami_works).
My name is Michelle and I am the wife of the hardest working man I know, the Mami of 2 beautiful and AMAZING girls and a Pathologists’ Assistant turned Stay at Home Mami turned Mompreneur of not one… or two… but three businesses! I am super excited to share my experiences and learn from you. As women/moms/entrepreneurs, we must stick together and support each other!