With the New England weather not knowing what it wants to do (one day it’s 50 degrees and the next 72 degrees), it is hard to believe that the holiday season has officially started. It seems like just yesterday I was getting my girls ready for outdoor swim lessons. But Thanksgiving is here and I will honestly say that I am still not ready. I am not ready to think about decorations, holiday dinners, family get together and the non-stop activities that will fill my calendar. I am also especially not ready to start thinking about all of the gifts I need to buy.
In the past, I have waited to the last minute to purchase gifts… and I mean LAST minute. While I love giving gifts… the actual process of purchasing gifts is difficult for me. Deciding what to get everyone (family, friends, teachers, etc…) makes me CRAZY!!! I overthink everything and spend way too much time trying to make up my mind and choose the perfect gift.
This year will be different. I will not wait to the last minute! In an attempt to be ahead of the game this holiday season, I have scoured the internet and thought about some of my favorite items to give for everyone (babies to adults). Here is Mami Works’ Holiday Gift Ideas:
Support Small/Local Businesses
Since I became an entrepreneur, I understand the work that goes into having your own business. I also understand the excitement and joy that fills the owner’s heart when someone supports them because in the end… the customer is supporting their family. As a result, I have been making more of an effort to support small / local businesses and you should too. Here are some of my favorite small businesses:
• Beautycounter By Michelle B. – The Holiday Collection from Beautycounter are plain and simply Gorgeous. Beautycounter is so much more than a company selling lotions and lipsticks. It is a mission based company committed to educating consumers on the lack of regulation in the personal care/beauty industry, and teaching them how to make safer choices for themselves. They prohibit the use of over 1500 known harmful or potentially harmful ingredients from their products and they have something for everyone… babies to adults. The icing on the cakes is the amazing customer service you will receive from Michelle B. (Yes… this is a shameless plug… but how can I mention small businesses without mentioning mine)?
• Etched Feelings by Nina Gagnon – I recently met Nina at a Holiday Boutique we both participated in. I was immediately drawn to the uniqueness and beauty of her custom glass etched products. Without hesitation I placed an order for a gift for hubby’s birthday. It came out just perfect and I know I will be ordering more from her.
• Lakeside Creations – Casey is another small business owner I met through a mutual friend. She created the shirts my girls wore for their birthday party and the #BadAsAMother cup I recently won. She also helped cover up a few of my husband’s sweatshirts. You cannot go wrong with personalized and customized gifts. I know I will be using her a lot more.
• Susan Borfitz Interior Design – Who doesn’t want help with the interior design of their house? I know I NEED help and would be beyond ecstatic to receive any of the services offered by Susan.
For those looking to Get Organized
• Erin Condren – With two daughters, a huge family, three businesses, multiple volunteer positions and life in general…. my days tend to be insane! After becoming a mom I feel I lost a few brain cells as I am not always on my game (I blame lack of sleep). I needed a way to get organized… enter the Erin Condren Deluxe Monthly Planner and Erasable Colored Pencils. I LOVE how easy it is to organize my days and see what’s on the schedule for the week, month, etc. But Erin Condren does not only make planners… they have home décor, Stationery, apparel and more! I can think of a few people on my list who will love gifts from Erin Condren.
• Mabels Labels – Another must have especially for busy moms. I LOVE the Clothing Labels and the Peel & Stick Labels. I didn’t think I needed labels until my youngest daughter came home from school with somebody else’s jacket and my oldest daughter came home from school with somebody else’s sandwich box. These labels make it so easy to label their stuff and I don’t have to worry about trying to write on a tiny label with hardly no space. Other products they have include Holiday Labels (I can’t wait to use mine), Bag Tags and Safety & Household Labels.
Gifts for the Children
• Green Kid Crafts – A subscription to these hands on science and art kits (for ages 2-10) are a great idea! They are perfect to help kids learn while having fun. They also bring a level of excitement as the kids will be excited to receive mail (I know my girls love checking the mailbox and always ask if they have anything…lol).
Gifts for the Family
• Iseeme.com – Iseeme.com has personalized gifts for the whole family (children, adults and pets)! I love their personalized books (for children and adults). For me… YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH BOOKS!!! And how cool is it that you can be a part of the story. My girls love reading and will be so excited to see their face in a book on Christmas morning.
• Board / Card Games – We love board games in our house. They are fun and teach children basic skills such as how to wait their turn, work as a team and use strategy. Some of our favorite games (in no particular order) include:
a. Scrabble Alphabet Scoop
b. Candy Land Disney Princess Edition
c. Mexican Train Dominoes
d. Dr. Seuss – Cat in the Hat I Can Do That
e. UNO Finding Dory Edition
f. Sequence for Kids
g. 5 Second Rule Jr
h. Jenga XL (For kids as the Jenga tiles are made out of cardboard) and/or Jenga Giant Family HArdwood Game (personally not recommended for little kids but great for adult game night)
i. Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel
j. The Cupcake Race
• Memberships / Experiences – I will say this is MY FAVORITE gift to receive and I know others who love it as well. When people ask me what they should get my girls as a gift, I ALWAYS say any monetary donation is completely appreciated as I will pool it together to get memberships (aquarium, zoo, museums, cabaret theater) and or experiences (dance classes, gymnastic classes, karate classes). They have enough toys and memberships/experiences are things they can learn, remember and treasure.
Look at Various Resources / Influencers.
• iHelpMoms.com – iHelpMoms.com is a one-stop website for moms to find everything they need to make motherhood easier. Their Holiday Gift Guide has some great options with great deals. Make sure to sign up for iHelpMoms.com and download their gift guide!
• Bad As A Mother – Keira over at BadAsAMOther had some great idea for holiday gifts but I kind of loved her idea of a Bourbon Advent Calendar. After checking out her link I saw they had different types of alcoholic advent calendars (whisky, tequila, gin and more). I know a few people who would definitely appreciate this as a gift.
Time To Shop…
Hopefully this guide will give you great ideas and help make the process of buying holiday gifts just a little bit easier. No matter how big your list is, there is no need to stress. As Mother Teresa said – “It’s not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.” Happy Shopping!!!
My name is Michelle and I am the wife of the hardest working man I know, the Mami of 4 beautiful and AMAZING kids (3 girls and 1 boy) and a Pathologists’ Assistant turned Stay at Home Mami turned Owner and Creative Director of Mami Works Design Studio, LLC. I am super excited to share my experiences and learn from you. As women/moms/entrepreneurs, we must stick together and support each other!